Apple Pie is almost everyone’s favourite baked dessert. Here is a simple recipe to get started.
Note: To make a deep dish pie, double the filling ingredients and roll out the bottom crust to a 12-13 inch diameter.
Apple PiePrint Recipe
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1¼ cups of vegetable shortening
- 7-12 tablespoons of ice-cold water
- 6 cups of peeled and sliced apples
- 2/3 of a cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 of a teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cut into 4 or 5 pieces
1. Place top oven rack in centre position and pre-heat oven to 450°F.
2. To prepare pie crust, add flour, salt, and vegetable shortening to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Gradually add ice-cold water until the dough binds together and can form a ball. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, add sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large bowl and toss gently to combine.
4. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into 2 even sections. Roll out each piece of dough into a 10-11 inch diameter for a 9-inch pie.
5. Line a 9-inch pie pan with one of the crusts. Transfer the apple filling to the pie crust.
6. Place top crust over the pie and crimp the edges together. Cut 4-5 vents into the top crust with a sharp knife and place a small piece of butter in each. Cover edges with foil or a pie crust protector to prevent over browning.
7. Bake for 10 minutes at 450°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking for another 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving with some Vanilla Ice Cream, if desired.