Level up your dessert time with this not-too-sweet blood orange tart. This treat is easy enough to prepare even for beginner-skilled pastry bakers. Check out this quick and easy recipe that might just become your next favourite dessert!
Blood Orange TartPrint Recipe
- Blood Orange Curd Ingredients
- 225 ml of blood orange juice
- 300 grams of raw cane sugar
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- 30 grams of corn starch
- 150 grams of butter
- 150 ml of cream
- Grated zest of one organic orange
- Some grated tonka bean
- Short Pastry Ingredients
- 100 grams of cold butter + butter to grease the pan
- 200 grams of flour
- 1 medium egg
- 1 pinch of salt
For the Blood Orange Curd:
- Mix juice, sugar and vanilla sugar and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then add the butter and stir until it melts. Add the cream, stir again and boil for another 5 minutes.
- Mix the corn starch with 10 tablespoons of the orange mixture and whip until all lumps are dissolved. Now add this and the grated tonka bean to your orange mixture and boil again for about 1 minute until it has a thick consistency. Add the orange zest and let it cool completely.
For the Short Pastry:
- Cut the butter into small cubes and put them in a large bowl together with all the other ingredients. Now knead thoroughly until you have a smooth dough (this might take a while until all the flour is incorporated). Form a ball, wrap it into a cling film, and place it in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Grease a tart pan and line the bottom with baking paper that is cut into a round shape. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (top and bottom heat).
- When the dough is ready, spread it carefully onto your baking pan. Perforate the dough with a fork, then bake for about 20 minutes.
- When your short pastry comes out of the oven, let it cool down a little and remove it from the pan.
- Spread the blood orange curd onto the pastry and decorate with some orange slices.