After getting way off track with our meal planning and food spending, I’ve spent a lot more time in the kitchen, trying to get creative with what we have on hand and stick to healthier meals and snacks.
I’ve been experimenting with a few of my tried and true favourites, like PB2 and Maca powder, and playing around with some new things like Aloha Organic Vanilla Protein Powder in my smoothies, baked goods and other treats. I wanted to share a super simple healthy dessert/afternoon snack I’ve been whipping up repeatedly this month – easy vegan chocolate smoothie bowls!
I love recipes where all you have to do is toss a bunch of stuff into the blender and, voila! You have something tasty and filling, which is precisely that kind of recipe. And you can adapt the thickness to make a thicker consistency for a chocolate pudding feel, which I’ve done a few times, and could probably even pop it in the freezer for a while and make it taste like ice cream! (I haven’t tried this one, so let me know if you do!) Here’s the recipe:
Easy Vegan Chocolate Smoothie BowlPrint Recipe
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon of cacao powder (add more for a more bitter, dark chocolate taste)
- 1/2 cup of raw, canned coconut milk (or you can use coconut cream for a thicker “pudding” texture)
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- Optional: 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- Combine all ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into your favourite festive bowl and garnish with whatever goodies you like! (I prefer pumpkin seeds and cacao nibs!)
I used coconut cream for this batch, so it’s more like chocolate pudding! You can experiment with the proportions of your ingredients to adjust the consistency and flavour to your liking. Note that to get that slightly thick smoothie feel, you’ll want to use raw coconut milk that will thicken with mixing rather than the more watery coconut milk from a carton.
If you leave out the protein powder and double-check your ingredients for no added sugars, this recipe is also ingredient compliant for Whole30. Though I know, concoctions like this don’t technically fit into their “food philosophy.” But, still. Healthy chocolate pudding? Why not!