I love bread! It holds a very special place in my heart. I would eat bread for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even desserts. I also love baking bread nearly as much as I love eating it. I enjoy every step of the process, from kneading to shaping, forming and baking. Today, I’ll share with you my garlic knots recipe.
I’ve had my good share of experimentation in the bread department in the past years. One of my favourite and best bread recipes is the Garlic Knots. The recipe is straightforward, playing with the dough is fun, and the garlicky, buttery aroma that fills the house while baking is heartwarming.
Garlic KnotsPrint Recipe
- Dough Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup of warm water
- 2 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour, give or take a few tablespoons
- Garlic/Butter Glaze Ingredients
- 6-8 garlic cloves, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 100 grams of butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of grated Parmesan cheese
- Extra Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- and mixer bowl (or by hand), combine 2 cups of flour with the salt, yeast and sugar. Add oil and warm water and mix. Gradually add the remaining 2 cups of flour and continue to mix until ingredients have formed a dough.
- Switch to a dough hook and knead until dough is smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes in a stand mixer or 8-10 minutes by hand).
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap until doubled (about an hour).
- After the dough has doubled, lightly punch it down and turn it out onto a lightly floured counter.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces and shape it into round balls.
- Roll the balls into ropes, cover with a towel or loose plastic wrap and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Tie the ropes into knots and tuck in the loose ends.
- Place the knots on baking sheets that are lightly greased or lined with parchment paper.
- Cover loosely with a towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- For the garlic/butter glaze, combine the minced garlic, oregano and melted butter in a bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Brush the knots lightly with only half the butter/garlic mix.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly browned.
- Immediately after the knots are out of the oven, brush with the remaining garlic/butter mixture and sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese if desired.