I love granola bars for breakfast. It is what I usually have when I don’t have the time to cook in the mornings. They’re healthy, delicious, and healthy all at the same time! I couldn’t ask for a better breakfast! Today, you’ll learn a no-bake recipe for the famous breakfast snack.
- Toasting is optional. You’re not required to toast the oats and the nuts, but I find it improves texture and flavour.
- Always use rolled oats. Quick oats are steamed and cut, making them mushy in granola applications.
- Moisten the prunes. The prunes, dates, or figs act like a binder. If they’re too dry, soak them in water (or sherry if you’d like) for about 10 minutes before processing.
- Keep them cold. The problem with no-bake granola bars is that they don’t stick together once they temper and begin to fall apart into crumbles. It’s still delicious, but I don’t think this is the best way to go about making granola bars. If you want a quick crunchy snack, these are delicious, but they may be a little messy for a shift-long pocket snack.
- Keep proportion. Mess around with the add-ins and flavours with these, but be sure to increase the binders when you add extra ingredients.
No-Bake Granola BarsPrint Recipe
- 1 cup of toasted rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of oat flakes (or another 1/2 cup of oats)
- 1 cup of prunes, figs or dates
- 1 cup of toasted nuts (cashews, sunflower seeds, etc.)
- 1/2 cup of dried fruit (candied ginger, cranberries, coconut, etc.)
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup of smooth peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 315 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread the oats and the nuts on two separate baking sheets.
- Toast for about 10-12 minutes, until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Let cool and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add prunes to the blender and process. Scrape into the mixing bowl.
- Add the oat flakes and dried fruit to the bowl.
- Over medium-low heat, heat honey and peanut butter in a saucepan. Whisk together, then pour it over the oat mixture. Stir to coat and transfer to the baking dish. Press down until evenly distributed. Freeze for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and cut as desired. Store in the freezer.