The trickiest thing about this Roasted Summer Squash Quiche is that the vegetables roast at a higher temperature than the quiche bakes, so it’s challenging to make it all in one afternoon. If you’re making it for brunch, though, you can roast the squash the night before (and make your pie crust if that’s your thing), then put it all together in the morning.
Roasted Summer Squash Quiche
This roasted summer squash quiche is the perfect breakfast to kick off your day. This is so nutritious and filling at the same time!
- 1 small pie crust
- 1 large squash summer, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 stalks leek white and light green parts, thinly sliced and rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 6 medium eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon thyme fresh
- ½ teaspoon salt
- The plan ahead part (early in the day or day before):
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread squash and leeks on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Coat with olive oil and generously sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes until vegetables are just starting to brown.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place rolled-out pie dough on a pie plate. Cover the pie with tin foil or parchment paper and fill with dry beans or pie weights. Bake for about 7 minutes. Remove from oven. Take beans or weights out and let pie crust cool a bit.
- Line the bottom of the crust with roasted squash and leeks. Beat eggs and milk together in a large bowl. Add cheddar, Parmesan, thyme and salt and mix well. Pour over the top of the squash. Bake the squash quiche for about 50 to 60 minutes until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the squash quiche for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
Calories: 251kcalCarbohydrates: 14gProtein: 13gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0.02gCholesterol: 152mgSodium: 452mgPotassium: 449mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 10499IUVitamin C: 21mgCalcium: 329mgIron: 1mg
We’d love to know if you enjoyed this recipefeel free to let us know in the comments!