This Chicken Pesto Bake recipe is in no way Paleo. And if it looks like a whole bunch of cheesy goodness, that’s because it is precisely that.
Part of the reason I love this recipe is that it takes 20 minutes to cook from start to finish. Another thing that’s nice about this is that you can use whatever cheese you have on hand. Sure, mozzarella is excellent, but a nice Monterey Jack or even a chevre is delicious too.
I probably go a bit too heavy with the pesto, honestly. It’s so delicious, and this is perhaps the only time I eat it. So, going overboard is okay.
Chicken Pesto BakePrint Recipe
- 2 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons of pesto
- 1 medium tomato, sliced thin
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
- 4 tablespoons of grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Slice each breast horizontally to create four thinner cutlets. Then, season with salt and fresh pepper.
- Place the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet. Then, spread 1 teaspoon of pesto over each piece of the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 15 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink in the centre. Remove from oven and arrange sliced tomatoes on top of each breast. Place sliced mozzarella cheese and grated cheese over the top.
- Bake for additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve over leafy greens as a salad or alongside your favourite roasted or steamed veggies.