I just discovered this recipe dairy-free cauliflower chowder looking for a way to use up that cauliflower sitting in my fridge. It comes out quite delicious and is an easy one-pot meal. Unlike ordinary chowder, this one is dairy-free. I used coconut milk to give it that creaminess. Also, the starch from the Yukon gold potato helps thicken the soup, achieving that rich consistency.
Dairy-Free Cauliflower ChowderPrint Recipe
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 1 cup of carrot, diced into small cubes
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1-2 medium Yukon gold potato, diced into small cubes
- 1 leek, chopped (using the white part mainly)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 small head cauliflower, stems removed and chopped
- 3-4 cups of broth (I used vegetable, but whatever you have on hand is fine)
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Once heated, add onion, carrot, celery, potato, green onion, and salt. Sauté, occasionally stirring, until onions are translucent and other vegetables have softened. Do this for about 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower. Add vegetable or chicken broth, coconut milk, thyme, bay leaf, salt & pepper. Cover pot and bring to a strong simmer.
- Let cauliflower cook until softened for about 15 – 20 minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Then, garnish with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!