A caramel apple pie is a must when big crowds are coming over. It’s the perfect dessert to serve when you want to show off your cooking skills. And it’s a guaranteed hit that will make them ask about the recipe.
Sugary Caramel Apple PiePrint Recipe
- Pie Crust Ingredients
- 400 grams of flour
- 200 grams of cold butter, cut into squares
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of ice water
- Filling Ingredients
- 10 pink lady apples, peeled, cored, and chopped in twelfths
- 8 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of cloves
- 120 grams of butter
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons of bourbon
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Combine your flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Rub in the cold butter until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add the cracked egg and water and mix well with your hands.
- Roll into a ball, cut in half, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes at most 24 hours.
- Roll out ½ into a pie pan. Blind bake for 20 minutes (line the dough with aluminium foil filled with rice, beans, or baking balls, inside to stop the crust from rising).
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Heat 110 grams of butter in a pan until brown. Add the apples. Cook down for about 5 minutes. Add all other ingredients. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour into pre-baked pie crust and either lattice or place rolled out dough on time (cutting holes for steam to escape).
- Bake for 1 hour.