A caramel apple pie is a must when big crowds are coming over. It’s the perfect dessert to serve when you want to show off your cooking skills. And it’s a guaranteed hit that will make them ask about the recipe.
Sugary Caramel Apple Pie
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 400 grams flour
- 200 grams butter cut into squares
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water iced
- 10 medium apples peeled, cored, and chopped in twelfths
- 8 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 120 grams butter
- ¼ medium lemon juice
- ½ medium lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Combine your flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Rub in the cold butter until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add the cracked egg and water and mix well with your hands.
- Roll into a ball, cut in half, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes at most 24 hours.
- Roll out ½ into a pie pan. Blind bake for 20 minutes (line the dough with aluminium foil filled with rice, beans, or baking balls, inside to stop the crust from rising).
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Heat 110 grams of butter in a pan until brown. Add the apples. Cook down for about 5 minutes. Add all other ingredients. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour into pre-baked pie crust and either lattice or place rolled out dough on time (cutting holes for steam to escape).
- Bake for 1 hour.