This Crispy Chicken Katsu Curry Recipe is one of our favourite dishes to cook. You can find this dish at most Japanese restaurants. I managed to perfect the chicken cutlets, and the curry is so easy to make. You can also have the curry on its own with rice. There are different types of Japanese curry, but our favourite is the Golden Curry.
Crispy Chicken Katsu Curry Recipe
This crispy chicken katsu curry is a favourite homemade Japanese dish of mine. I love the fact that it's so easy to prepare at home yet, it tastes authentic!
- 2 medium chicken breast
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 medium potatoes chopped into 3-centimetre cubes
- 1 medium egg beaten and season well
- ¼ cup flour
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Japanese curry paste
- 3 cups water
- To prepare the chicken cutlets, slice the chicken into pieces, about 1-centimetre thick pieces. Have the flour, eggs and panko in 3 separate bowls. First, coat the chicken pieces with flour, then dip in egg mixture and then coat with panko. Repeat with the remaining of the chicken pieces and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick pan, add the prepared chicken pieces and cook on each side until golden brown and cooked through. You will need to cook the chicken in batches.
- Heat some oil in the heavy-based pan, add onion and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrots and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then add the water and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook.
- Once the potatoes are just cooked but not breaking, add the curry paste blocks and stir continuously until the curry dissolves and becomes thick.
- To serve, slice chicken pieces into 2-centimetre pieces and lay over a bed of rice and top with curry sauce.
Calories: 822kcalCarbohydrates: 121gProtein: 61gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0.03gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 505mgPotassium: 3079mgFiber: 15gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 12901IUVitamin C: 97mgCalcium: 154mgIron: 6mg
We’d love to know if you enjoyed this recipefeel free to let us know in the comments!