Finally, here’s a tasty mac and cheese recipe for lactose-intolerant folks who miss the pleasure of eating some good ‘ol mac and cheese! This dairy-free mac and cheese recipe is very creamy, full of flavour, and very simple to make.
Dairy-Free Mac and CheesePrint Recipe
- 16 ounces of large macaroni
- 6 small red potatoes, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3/4 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Soak a cup of cashews in hot water for about 30 minutes.
- Cook macaroni as directed. Set aside.
- Fill a small pot with water and bring to boil. Add potatoes and carrots. Let it cook until vegetables are tender and soft.
- While vegetables are cooking, sauté garlic and onions with olive oil in a small pan over medium heat until they have a golden brown tint.
- Once cooked, place potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic in a blender. I prefer taking a quarter of the onions and garlic out to add to my finished meal.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, cashews and seasonings to the mixture and blend until smooth.
- Put the sauce over your cooked macaroni in a dish, and serve. Or add noodles and sauce to a baking dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs on top and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!