Ordinarily, I like my chili to be of the beef-and-tomato variety. In fact, I rarely deviate from our favourite family recipe, except to update it to a more heart-healthy version, this white chicken chili (which, in the interest of full disclosure, was greeted initially with more than a bit of scepticism). So announcing things like: It’s made with chicken! And It’s primarily white!
It’s precisely nothing like the chili we usually eat! So it makes a new variety sort of a tough sell.
Good thing, then, this white chicken chili is delicious enough to win them over. Try the easy recipe now.
Nostalgic White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 4 large chicken breasts chopped into ½-inch dice
- 1 medium Spanish onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic roasted
- 4 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 127 ml green chilies canned and diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan rock salt ground
- ¾ teaspoon oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 cans white kidney beans drained
- 2 cups corn frozen
- 227 grams cream cheese dairy-free
- Heat oil over high heat.
- Add chicken, onions and garlic; cook until the chopped chicken is no longer pink (5 to 10 minutes).
- Add spices; cook down 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and green chilies. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until completely melted. Add beans and corn. Heat through and allow to cook for 10 to 20 minutes to blend flavours.
- Serve with crusty bread and a cold beer.