We think you will like this perfectly roasted eggplant sandwich with sweet caramelized onions topped with a lovely tangy and peppery arugula.
Easy Homemade Eggplant SandwichPrint Recipe
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large onion
- 1 lemon
- 5 ounces of spreadable goat cheese
- 3 ounces of arugula
- 1 baguette
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Partially skin the eggplant with a peeler. We like to keep some of the skin for a pleasant texture, and it helps the eggplant keep its shape.
- Slice the eggplant into 10 slices. Then put all the slices on a wire rack and sprinkle with salt. Let them sit until the onions are done caramelizing.
- Slice the onion relatively slim and caramelize them.
- At some point during the caramelizing process, flip and salt the other side of the eggplant slices.
- Smear some olive oil on both sides of eggplant slices. Use about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle them with fresh ground pepper. Place the eggplant slices on the wire rack or parchment paper and place them on a baking tray. Place them in the oven for 30 minutes. Flip them once or twice while baking.
- You can cut the lemon, bread, and goat cheese into 5 equal portions during the eggplant preps.
- Remove the eggplant when it looks ready.
- Divide everything into 5 portions and store it in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- When you are ready to serve the eggplant, toast the bread and spread the goat cheese onto the bottom half. Cover that with the eggplant pieces and then the onions. Squirt the lemon onto the arugula and toss it with some pepper or other desired spice. Top the sandwich with some arugula and put the other half of the bread. Enjoy!