This Spinach Pie recipe is a homemade version of the traditional Greek Spanakopita, with a few tweaks ideal for a light meal. I am a great fan of spinach pie. It’s rich but not as heavy as a tart, has a beautifully flaky crust, and can be served as a savoury breakfast, brunch, or anytime meal. It’s just so delicious!
Since spinach pies are often served at room temperature, you can prepare them ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator until the day of your event. Take them out in the morning and gradually warm them up.
I hope you have a good time making this recipe. You can serve this with Frozen Strawberry Margaritas. Dive in!
Easy Homemade Spinach PiesPrint Recipe
- 10 cups of organic unbleached white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons of flax meal
- 2 teaspoons of yeast, mixed with 6 oz warm water and a pinch of organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon of natural salt
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 3 to 4 cups of water
- Spinach Stuffing:
- 60 ounces of organic spinach, chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped and with a pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons of sumac
- 2 pieces of lemons, juiced
- 1/2 a cup of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of natural salt
- Dissolve yeast in 6 ounces water and a pinch of organic raw sugar. Allow it to rise.
- After the yeast mixture has proofed, whisk together the flour, flax meal, salt, olive oil, and yeast mixture in a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually add water and knead with your hands to produce a dough. Cover and allow to rise for a few hours in a warm place.
- Meanwhile, defrost and drain the frozen spinach in a colander. Squeeze the water out with both hands and place it in a big dish.
- Mix thoroughly in the massaged onion, sumac, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Taste and adjust to your preference and set aside.
- Punch and knead the dough. Divide the mixture into 3 to 4 balls. Flour the countertop and roll each ball separately with a rolling pin. Cut 3 to 4-inch circles with a cup with a wide mouth.
- Fill each dough circle with a heaping tablespoon of the spinach mixture. Wet the outer border of each circle using your finger. Close each one by folding each side to the centre to form a triangle. Seams should be pressed down, and ends should be pressed together. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake the pies for about 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.