This turkey shawarma is a classic and famous Middle Eastern fast food prepared in a flash at home, using simple ingredients. Serve it up with fries and Israeli tomato and cucumber salad.
Warm up the pita bread and slice them in half. Add the shawarma and add condiments of your choice: pickles, hummus, tahini, hot sauce or hot peppers.
If you don’t have shawarma seasoning, you can use the following:
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves or allspice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
Easy Turkey ShawarmaPrint Recipe
- Turkey Shawarma Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pound of turkey thigh meat or breast
- 2-3 tablespoons of canola oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon of shawarma seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 6 pieces of pita bread halved for serving
- 4-5 medium potatoes to make fries
- Israeli Tomato and Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1-2 medium cucumbers or Persian cucumbers
- 1 small red or white onion
- 1 handful of parsley or cilantro
- Few sprigs of mint (optional)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Turkey Shawarma Instructions
- Slice the turkey meat into thin strips.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan or cast-iron skillet on medium to high heat and place the meat in the pan. Slightly fry it a bit until the meat is no longer pink, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the seasoning and stir well. Keep frying for 2-3 minutes more and then cover with a lid and reduce the heat a bit and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
Potato Fries Instructions
- Slice the potatoes into thin strips, then add salt.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet and add canola oil about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the way up.
- Make sure the oil is heated before frying. To check, add a drop of water. If it sizzles, it’s ready for frying.
- Gently place a batch of potatoes in. Make sure the oil covers the fries to the top. Also, make sure not to cluster the fries; they need to be spread out when frying.
- When they start to become golden, flip them over one time and let them cook until golden brown. Place them on a paper towel to reduce excess oil.
Israeli Tomato and Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- Dice tomatoes, cucumbers and onion into small cubes.
- Chop the herbs finely. Add lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper. Stir to combine.