This hash brown casserole has to be the most tweaked recipe that I have seen over the years. My version started plain; there was a missing spice. I add this and that over the years until I finally came across a flavorful version that my entire family loved.
If you love potatoes and cheese, then you will like this hash brown casserole. This is a great dish to take to a BBQ. It’s good hot and at room temperature. If your lucky to have leftovers the next day, it’s even better. Next time you’re in the mood for a hash brown casserole, give my version a try and see for yourself; the spices make all the difference.
Hash Brown CasserolePrint Recipe
- 1 pound Simply Potatoes, shredded hash browns
- 2 cups of grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons of chopped onion or 1/2 cup of chopped fresh onion
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, garlic powder, parsley flakes, chopped onion and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Add shredded hash browns and 1 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese to the soup mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a sprayed baking dish (8×8 or 2 quarts).
- Top with the additional 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake for 40 minutes uncovered.
- Allow the cooked casserole to cool for 5 minutes.