Baklava is so decadent and heavenly. It is so nutty, sweet, gooey, crunchy all at the same time. It’s one of my favourite desserts!
A homemade version of it is so much better than store-bought in my book. You have so many choices in the ingredients you can put in it. You can use your favourite nut; I have used walnuts, almonds and Brazil nuts.
Nutty BaklavaPrint Recipe
- Honey Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup of honey
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1/3 cup of water
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Baklava Ingredients
- 1 package of frozen filo dough-defrost in refrigerator 2 days before making baklava
- 1 pound of nuts, walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds, or pretty much any other nut you would like to use (chopped finely)
- 1 cup of melted butter
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and any other spices
- Honey syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to boil, lower temperature and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir during the cooking process. After 15 minutes, turn off the heat and let cool.
- Brush the bottom of the 9 x 13 pan with some of the melted butter. Add a layer of filo, brush with butter, add a layer of filo, brush with butter, and do this 4 more times. Add a layer of chopped nuts and cinnamon. Add 5 to 6 more layers of the filo brushed with the melted butter.
- When you have used all the nuts and cinnamon, add 7 to 8 layers of the butter filo to finish off the top.
- Put the pan into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pull the pan from the freezer, get a very sharp knife and cut long diagonal cuts through the dough. When you have completed the cuts, it will look like a pan of diamonds.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- Take out of the oven. Pour syrup gently over the top of the baklava. I usually pour about half, wait for 5 to 10 minutes, and pour the remaining syrup over the top.
- Let sit for several hours for syrup to soak it completing and baklava is cooled.