Vegan shepherd’s pie is one of the best meals I could ever have, and I’m pretty picky about it. This recipe feels like home and still gives you that comfort food without the heaviness. I promise you; this is one of those vegan meals that will rock your world and make you realize that healthy eating isn’t so bad!
This vegan shepherd’s pie is perfect for dinner and when you want a vegan meal that can quickly fill you up.
Vegan Shepherd’s PiePrint Recipe
- 2 pounds of red potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 1/5 pounds of vegan ground meat
- 1 tablespoon of vegan butter
- Olive oil
- Almond or soy milk
- 1 large onion
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- Red pepper
- Quarter the potatoes. You can opt to peel them or keep the skin on.
- Chop the carrots into chunks.
- Place the potatoes and carrots into cold water and place on high heat. Boil until both are soft enough to mash, roughly for 17 minutes. (Note: it’s essential to use cold water at first, as it preserves the integrity of the starches in the potatoes before they boil.)
- While potatoes and carrots are boiling, thoroughly chop the onion and garlic.
- Coat the bottom of a skillet with olive oil and sweat the onions over low to medium heat. Add garlic and vegan meat. Sauté until cooked and meat is slightly browned.
- Turn off the skillet and add a generous tablespoon of sage, a teaspoon of red pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots. Add a cup of soy milk and a tablespoon of vegan butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- With beaters or a fork, mash the ingredients together. I prefer to leave chunks of potatoes and carrots in there for the presentation, but how much you blend is entirely your call.
- In smaller single-serving ramekins or a large single casserole dish, generously line the bottom of the pan with the meat and onion base. Spread evenly and pack lightly to form the bottom of the dish. Next, spread the potatoes on top, the quantity of which is entirely up to you based on preference.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes to allow extra moisture to escape and flavor to mesh.
- Remove and serve straight from the dish. Garnish with dried sage or your favorite vegan gravy!