This crispy honey chicken is better than I could have imagined! I got the recipe from Oh Sweet Basil. She never disappoints, I swear.
So, while making this honey chicken, I made the fire alarm go off thrice. I had the pan too hot with too little oil, and everything was burning!
This chicken is good. Just ensure you have enough oil and the pan isn’t on a high! So dumb of me. I know.
We ate this chicken with steamed green beans (recipe below) and mashed potatoes. I wanted to do fried rice, but we had no rice. So we went with some tots! And it worked out awesome!
I wish I had doubled this recipe so we could have leftovers! Even though there probably wouldn’t have been any.
And to be honest, these were even good before the sauce was added. The spices added to the flour before frying seriously added a noticeable depth of flavour.
Crispy Honey Chicken Recipe
- ½ cup honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce low-sodium
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 medium chicken breasts cut into 1 1/2-inch cube
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
Steamed Green Beans Ingredients
- 2 handfuls green beans ends cut off
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the honey, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and apple cider vinegar. Whisk and bring to a boil, then boil to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to finish thickening. The sauce will be thin. This will make the tossing of chicken coats easier.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat (or we do just over medium). While the pan and oil are getting hot in a dish, mix the flour and spices.
- Dunk the chicken in the mixed egg, then the flour and spices mixture. Once the oil is hot, cook the chicken, turning only once or twice, until golden and cooked, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain on a paper towel and then toss in the sauce.
Steamed Green Beans Instructions
- In a large skillet, pour water and mix in chicken bouillon. Heat over medium-high heat.
- When water is hot, add prepared green beans. Toss in water and cover.
- Cook for 8 minutes or until green beans are soft but not mushy.