Lauki (bottle gourd) is an easily digestible vegetable. Lauki curry can be prepared in different ways. I am using a green chili-based variant, lauki curry, with green chili paste, which gives an excellent taste. If you are a spicy lover, you like this curry the most. Because lauki curry has a mild flavor, adding chili paste allows you to enjoy the curry more.
I experimented with this recipe based on the Maharashtrian style. One of my best friends is a Maharashtrian. So I learned pumpkin curry using chili paste. It was delicious. So I tried this lauki curry with green chili paste.
Spicy Lauki Curry With Green Chili Paste
- 250 grams bottle gourd
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 4 medium green chilies
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash bottle gourd and peel the skin. Now chop it into 1/2 inch size pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a curry pan. Once the oil becomes hot, add crushed garlic cloves and jeera. Saute for a while.
- Next, add finely chopped onions. Saute for 1 minute. Next, add lauki (bottle gourd) pieces, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well and close the lid. Now cook for 10 to 15 minutes on a slow flame.
- Meanwhile, make a paste of green chilies in a mixer jar. ( We are using 4 chilies only, so you get a little paste. That will be sufficient.)
- Once lauki (bottle gourd) pieces are properly cooked, add green chili paste and cook for 5 minutes (until the raw smell completely goes out).
- Now add half a cup of water and half a cup of milk (milk is optional). Cook for 2 minutes. Finally, adjust the salt.