Lately, I have been experimenting with oil-free baking. As daunting as it is, there are some genuinely amazing plant-based products out there that make cooking with whole foods even easier. After I conquered biscuits, the next thing on my list was Lemon Pound Cake.
I love the taste of lemon-flavored foods. There’s something about the lemon’s tartness that adds a freshness that I don’t find from any other fruit.
This recipe for Lemon Pound Cake is my new favorite brunch-friendly summer dessert. Light, sweet, and full of lemon flavor, this will be your new favorite cake recipe. The lemon flavor from the cake, syrup, and glaze come together to make a moist and crumbly cake. The best part? This cake gets better with time, so feel free to make it ahead of time. Just try to resist eating it before you’re supposed to!
Plant-Based Lemon Pound CakePrint Recipe
- Lemon Cake Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2/3 cup of coconut butter
- 2 chia eggs (1 tablespoon of ground chia seeds plus 3 tablespoons of water)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of plant milk
- 1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice
- Lemon Syrup Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- Lemon Glaze Ingredients
- 1 cup of confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Then, set aside.
- Cream together the coconut butter and sugar using a stand mixer, hand mixer, or even a whisk.
- Add the vanilla extract, chia eggs, and plant milk and mix thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients and lemon juice and gently mix just until all the ingredients are combined.
- Place a parchment paper at the bottom of a non-stick loaf pan (which removes the cake so much easier). Add the cake batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake and let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Place the cake on a baking rack and poke small holes in the top of the cake with a toothpick, so the syrup gets deep into the cake.
Lemon Syrup Instructions
- Bring the lemon juice and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Remove from heat and pour the syrup over the cake.
- Let the cake cool completely–at least 3 hours, but overnight is even better! If cooling overnight, cover tightly with plastic wrap.
Lemon Glaze Instructions
- Combine the lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar until a thick icing has formed. Put more sugar or lemon juice to get the desired consistency.
- Drizzle the syrup over the cake and make sure some drips down the sides.
- Sprinkle the top with lemon zest and serve!