I’m sharing with you today my favourite and go-to lunch option lately, these Fiery Shrimp Tacos!
This dish reminds me of Mexico because of its freshness and simplicity. Before our visit, the extent of my knowledge of Mexican fare was laughable. I’m still no expert, obviously, but I got an education.
The first aspect of their food I noticed was the abundance of fresh, colourful produce, seen in salsas, salads, and garnishes. Thus, I instantly fell in love with these Fiery Shrimp Tacos.
Fiery Shrimp Tacos
- 6 medium Shrimps
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium flour tortillas soft shell
- 1 bunch lettuce chopped
- 2 medium tomato diced
- ⅓ cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 large white onion minced
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and quickly stir for 20 seconds before tossing in the shrimp. The pan should be hot enough that they sizzle. Sauté for about a minute, flipping halfway, and ensuring they get a bit charred.
- Add the lime juice, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. (Word of warning: The pepper flakes smoke a lot. Like me, if you’re in a poorly ventilated rental kitchen, have a fan or two on hand!) Mix together and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Nestle 3 spicy shrimps per soft shell tortilla and garnish with whatever your little heart desires. Enjoy!
- Repeat for dinner, paired with a simple salad or an easy side of Spanish rice, white rice mixed with canned tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
- If you’re not as much of a heat enthusiast in your food as I am, omit the ‘spicy’ by leaving out the chilli flakes. The garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper combo is delectable enough for the shrimp, and with fresh veggies and cheese piled on top, your taco will be anything but boring!