This Gluten-Free Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe was a new one for me, but I will be putting it on my shortlist. It’s made with fresh shiitake (or button) mushrooms and onions, and the addition of fresh lemon juice at the very end is the perfect flavour booster.
When it’s finished cooking, the soup is pureed in the blender, giving it its creamy texture (you’ll be amazed at how creamy it becomes without adding any cream at all!).
And here’s a little entertaining tip: if you’re putting out a buffet, serve creamy soups like this Gluten-Free Creamy Mushroom Soup one in small demi-tasse cups, which can be set out on a large tray. It’s a perfect tiny tasting portion, and guests won’t need a spoon – they can sip it right out of the cup. It also happens to look beautiful on the buffet table. Whenever I host large groups and can’t serve a sit-down dinner, I still want to put out an elegant meal.
Gluten-Free Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 medium onions diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 medium lemon quartered
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the onions are translucent. Add the broth and turn down the heat a bit. Allow soup to simmer gently for 20 minutes. Remove the soup and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree soup in the blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Before serving the soup, add a squeeze of fresh lemon to each bowl and drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired. Garnish with a slice of lemon.