Let’s face it, some healthy carrot cakes just want to sound healthy. You find them everywhere. But this one is, for sure. And really delicious. Plus, almost a no-brainer.
This healthy carrot cake recipe really does give you some real nutrition. It’s got fresh carrots, plus whole wheat pastry flour, plus nuts, not to mention honey. As you may know, carrots are high in Vitamin A (good for eyes, suitable for elderly nutrition), Vitamin C, and fibre. They’re low in fats and are a good source of many minerals, including Thiamin, Niacin, and Potassium. Being naturally sweet (have you ever tried fresh carrot juice?), they are perfect in a healthy dessert recipe.
This healthy carrot cake can be made the effortless way – just one layer in a standard 8×8 inch cake pan, or make two round cakes for a two-layer effect. In this case, you’d want to use frosting, including between the layers.
Okay, maybe the frosting is not relatively as healthy because it does have powdered sugar. I’m sure, though, you could use a sugar substitute, and it would still be delicious. Also, if you or a loved one has elderly issues with dietary restrictions and can’t eat much sugar, you don’t have to frost our healthy cake recipe. It’s perfect, just plain! But we include the frosting anyway.
Healthy Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese FrostingPrint Recipe
- Cake Ingredients
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of mace
- 3/8 cup of oil
- 5/8 cup of honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup of grated fresh carrots
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup of hot water
- 1/3 cup of chopped nuts
- 1/3 cup of raisins (optional)
- Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Combine oil, spices, and honey.
- Add in eggs and carrots (you can get carrots pre-shredded in the grocery store if you hate to shred them). Of course, organic is always best. Or home-grown! Add flour and water. Beat well.
- Add nuts and raisins if you are using them, and blend in well. Bake in greased and floured cake pan at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. This works well as muffins too! Top with the cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting Instructions
- Blend the butter and cream cheese together.
- Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla, blending in well.
- Coat your carrot cake with the frosting. Best to keep refrigerated if not eaten right away.