Seeing as though the colder weather has decided to pay us a visit, I thought it appropriate to post a yummy comfort food recipe. This Creamy Chicken and Bacon Casserole recipe is one of my all-time faves. Of course, it’s not so much clean eating, but hey, we’ve all got to have a little indulgence every now and again! Oh, and it’s gluten-free.
This Creamy Chicken and Bacon Casserole is an excellent dish to serve when you got guests at home. This is what I serve to visitors who I know are very health-conscious. I want to make sure they enjoy their food.
Creamy Chicken and Bacon Casserole Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 600 grams chicken
- 1 pound bacon
- 400 grams mushrooms
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 handful continental parsley fresh
- 3 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup cream thickened
- Chop garlic and onion and set aside. Dice chicken and bacon and set aside. Roughly chop mushrooms. In your large pot, heat a good gulp of olive oil and add garlic and onions when hot. When they start to brown, add the bacon; once that’s getting some colour, add the chicken and wait until it starts to brown.
- Add in the mushrooms and continually stir for 5 minutes. Then, once everything is excellent and coloured, slowly add the buckwheat flour but make sure you’re constantly stirring (you want everything to be nice and coated).
- Once it all starts to lose moisture slowly, add the chicken stock bit by bit (you might not need all of the stock). Once the stock is absorbing, add the thickened cream and keep stirring.
- Meanwhile, steam your greens and set them aside for serving. Also, add your 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water and add the lid; once starting to boil, turn it to low and let the rice absorb the water.
- Finally, add the fresh chopped parsley into the pot and stir for about a minute.