Chili con carne is a famous Texas recipe known and adored all around the world. The first recipe was found in writings that date back to the 16th century. Although at that time it did not contain beans, with years, they became a must-ingredient of the chilli con Carne recipe.
Texan chilli con Carne does not include beans or any tomato products, just a thick chilli paste mixed with ground beef in a winning combo.
- You can thicken chilli with the classic thickening agent, which is cornmeal. So use it until you get the desired thickness.
- If you would like to prepare a mild chilli con Carne, replace jalapeno pepper with green bell pepper, and do not add chilli paste and jalapeno powder.
- You can use different spices and prepare your favourite combination in advance. You can add some extra virgin olive oil to the mixture and store it in the refrigerator for weeks.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, roasted corn, and chopped chives.
- Serve with onion rings, grilled vegetables, or a fresh Mexican salad.
Instant Pot Chilli RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1.3 lb ground beef
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 15 oz. black beans, canned
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté and chopped onion and extra virgin olive oil. Cook until lightly golden.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in ground beef, stir and cook until browned.
- Add tomato paste and sauce, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients, stir well to combine and lock the lid.
- Set to High and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and afterwards the cover as written on your pot product instructions.