A couple of years ago, I went to a little place up in Boerne, Texas called the Dodging Duck; they did these baked tomatoes with a dressing, very lovely, I wanted more flavour though, and so I worked it to my style.
Baked Tomatoes With an Avocado, Cilantro and Jalapeno SaucePrint Recipe
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 cup of panko
- 1 cup of almond milk, unsweetened original
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tablespoon of paprika
- 1/4 tablespoon of garlic salt
- Good pinch of pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 1 jalapeno, sliced and not seeded
- 1 cup of diced cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
- First, heat your oven 400 degrees and put your pan to the side, ready for your tomatoes to be placed on.
- Slice your tomatoes thickly, get the seasonings you have chosen, and mix them with your panko. Then, get your cup of almond milk and your vinegar and mix that in and put your milk aside – you have just made your version of buttermilk.
- You’re going to dip your tomatoes in your buttermilk mixture then into your panko and get a perfect coating on them all; when you have done them all, put them on your tray and bake them in your oven at as I said before 400 for 30 minutes, do check around the 20-minute mark to see how they look, they should come out nice and firm and crispy.
- While they are baking, you are going to make your avocado dip.
- You’re going to get your avocados, jalapeno, cilantro, yogurt, salt, pepper, juiced limes, apple cider vinegar, put all of your ingredients into your blender and whizz right up until nice and smooth, taste it you might want to add more heat or salt.
- Once your dressing is ready and your tomatoes are done, pull out and plate up.