Grilled Stuffed Squid is a dish of marinated squid stuffed with tomato and onion, then grilled over hot charcoal. The best place to cook this is at the beach when you’re on holiday with the family. You’re guaranteed to find delicious and fresh seafood, and the recipe for this is so easy it almost cooks itself!
My secret to cooking the best Grilled Stuffed Squid is not overcooking the squid; otherwise, it can become dry and tough. Instead, the charcoal should be hot enough that the squid starts browning within a couple of minutes of being placed on the BBQ.
Grilled Stuffed SquidPrint Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of calamansi or lemon juice
- 2 squid tubes, trimmed and rinsed
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Black pepper
- Place the sugar, garlic, chilli, soy sauce, calamansi juice, and black pepper in a ceramic dish. Mix well.
- Add the squid tubes, cover, place in the fridge and leave to marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the chopped tomato and onion in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the squid from the marinade.
- Use a toothpick to close the hole at the smaller end of the squid tube.
- Fill the inside of the tube with the tomato and onion mixture, leaving enough room at the top to close with another toothpick.
- Grill the squid over hot charcoal for 6 to 10 minutes per side. It should be golden brown, but do not overcook.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of soy sauce, red chilli, garlic and calamansi juice.