This creamy chicken pot pie recipe makes a wonderful dinner for the whole family. The filling is made with chicken, vegetables and a creamy sauce, and the pastry topping is wonderful.
Serve the Creamy Chicken Pot Pie just as they are or with a side dish or two, and you might like to serve a buttery Chardonnay as well.
You will need 4 chicken breast halves for this Creamy Chicken Pot Pie recipe, or you can use 2 cups of leftover cooked chicken cut into cubes if you have it.
The carrot and peas add color to the filling, while some heavy cream and a pinch of nutmeg give the filling all the aromatic flavor and thick, creamy texture you could dream of. Cut into this Creamy Chicken Pot Pie, and you can enjoy the light, crispy pastry topping and then the lovely hot filling. This is a winter warmer of a dish, and it is supremely satisfying whether served for lunch or as an evening meal with perhaps some green veggies and mashed potatoes on the side.
If you have some pie filling left over after filling the 4 pie dishes, simply freeze it for use in a future recipe. You will need 4 individual baking dishes to make these Creamy Chicken Pot Pies, each one with a capacity of 2 cups. Once you have made this Creamy Chicken Pot Pie once, you might like to experiment with the next one, perhaps adding some corn kernels or sliced mushrooms to the chicken filling mixture for a slightly different result.
Heartwarming Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry
- ¼ cup chicken base
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 4 medium chicken breast halves
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 cup green peas cooked
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ medium yellow onion minced
- 1 cup carrots chopped, cooked
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch seasoned salt
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg grated fresh, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the pastry squares into basic circles.
- Brush the beaten egg over each one, then bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown and risen.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken with seasoned salt and black pepper.
- Sauté it in the oil in a skillet over moderately high heat until cooked through.
- Chop the cooked chicken into ½ or 1-inch chunks.
- Melt the butter in a pot, then add the flour slowly, stirring all the time.
- Cook until it is thick like peanut butter but not as dark brown as a roux.
- Add the cream slowly, stirring all the time.
- Add the garlic, onion and chicken base, and stir until thick.
- Stir in the chicken, peas, carrot, and a pinch of nutmeg if liked.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into 4 oven-proof dishes and top each with one of the pastry lids.
- Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes, and then serve right away.