This heavenly chicken bacon quesadillas recipe will knock off your socks if you like an excellent quesadilla. After I told my husband how I would make them, he spent the whole day at work thinking about the cheesy concoction. The second thing he said, after greeting his lovely wife, was, “We are still having quesadillas for dinner, right?” I grinned and said, of course, not knowing I had already started the cooking process hours earlier.
Don’t be intimidated; this will be one of the easiest ways to make chicken! You don’t have to start this dish hours in advance – I just chose to do so to save some time when dinner rolled around, so I would not have to juggle so many tasks. A talent I’m getting better at with each meal. But I digress. This chicken bacon quesadilla recipe goes excellent with Holy Guacamole and homemade salsa that I will share in due time.
Heavenly Chicken Bacon Quesadillas
- 5 small chicken thighs
- 3 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 taco-sized flour tortillas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups quesadilla cheese
- 1 large tomato diced
- First, put the chicken thighs in a stock pot and cover it with water and a little salt. Heat the stock pot to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the chicken falls off the bone.
- Remove chicken and allow to cool. Then using your hands, pull the chicken meat off of the bone. You will reheat the chicken later, so you can do this early and refrigerate the chicken until use.
- Don’t discard the water! You’ve just made your own chicken stock that will taste better than anything at the store. I add the bones to the water and simmer for another 30 to 45 minutes. Remove the bones and strain the water through a mesh strainer to remove any tiny pieces of bone that may have been left behind. Use in recipes as you would purchase broth.
- When ready to assemble the quesadillas, add oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, all the spices, and water, stirring to coat the chicken and cook until warm, about 3 to 4 minutes. Meanwhile, butter one side of each tortilla and place butter side down on a griddle warmed over medium heat. Layer cheese, warm chicken, bacon, and diced veggies of your choice over the tortilla, and top with a little more cheese to hold the top tortilla in place.
- Flip carefully when the first side is golden, and cook until the cheese is melted and the bottom is also golden in colour. Cut into quarters and serve with guacamole, sour cream and green onions.