As you have read before, I love Mexican food. Instead of going out to eat it all the time, I have come up with some healthy ways to cook it at home. One of my go-to recipes is turkey tacos. I like using ground turkey over ground beef because I do not want to eat red meat all that often, but if you prefer ground beef, you can go ahead and use it, make sure to get lean ground beef.
Some people think ground turkey has less fat and calories than ground beef, but that is not necessarily true. If you go to Whole Foods to buy your ground turkey, it has fewer calories and fat than ground beef because they use lean dark meat. Still, if you go to your local grocery store and buy the pre-packaged ground turkey, it has the same fat and calorie content as lean ground beef. Just read the labels if you believe your meat is pre-packaged.
These turkey tacos are simple to make and very filling. I like to add in extra veggies when I can, so I put in some bell peppers and onions with the taco meat. Also, you can add any toppings you want – I put what my favourite toppings are. Finally, ensure you don’t use flour tortillas – they provide no nutritional value; instead, go for corn tortillas for making these turkey tacos.
Juicy Turkey Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ medium green bell pepper chopped
- ½ medium red bell pepper chopped
- ½ medium white onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 medium corn tortillas
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 medium avocado sliced
- 1 large jalapeno chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt plain
- Pour olive oil into a medium heat pan. Put in chopped onions. Let cook for a few minutes before adding red and green bell peppers.
- Cook all the veggies for 5 minutes before you add the ground turkey. You can add the turkey to the same pan as the veggies.
- Once the turkey is cooked, dump out any extra oil.
- Turn the stove to low heat and pour the taco seasoning and ½ cup of water over the turkey and veggie mixture.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes. Build your tacos and enjoy!