Chimichanga, usually deep-fried, can be made with vegan-friendly ingredients and baked in the oven for a healthier authentic Mexican street food snack or meal.
These are seriously good; I could eat them every day.
Vegan ChimichangaPrint Recipe
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 can of red kidney beans, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 4 squares of dark chocolate
- 1 heaping tablespoon of paprika
- 2 heaping tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 large pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of marjoram
- 1/2 can of water
- Some rapeseed oil to grease the baking sheet and to sprinkle on the onions when frying
- 4 tortilla or wheat wraps
- Fry the onions until browned. Add all other ingredients and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Lightly oil the baking tray. Lay the tortilla on the tray and spoon into the centre-quarter of the mixture. Fold as per the video instructions and bake in a hot oven/Aga for 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Serve with sliced avocado, crushed garlic, a squeeze of lemon or lime and a pinch of salt, maybe some grated fresh ginger too.
- Also great with a big green salad, roasted slices of potato, celery and apple salad. You can bake all 4, eat 2 and reheat the remaining two the next day as they will still taste delicious.
- Maybe add some vegan cheese.