Chocolate is my weakness! I have an extremely hard time resisting it! So when I find a “different” chocolate recipe, I am hooked! And this Extreme Chocolate Cupcake has all of my desires of a fantastic cupcake rolled up in one!
Extreme Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- 1 ¼ stick unsalted butter cubed
- 3 ounces chocolate bittersweet
- 3 ounces chocolate unsweetened
- 3 medium eggs
- ½ cup sugar turbinado
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup coconut rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coffee instant
- 2 ounces chocolate semisweet
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 medium egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ⅓ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line the cupcake pan with cupcake papers.
- Chop the chocolate and add the cayenne pepper and cinnamon to a double broiler. I used flavoured chocolate for my bittersweet.
- Stir until the chocolate is melted.
- In another heatproof bowl, put the eggs, turbinado sugar and salt. Place the bowl on the same double broiler and whisk until the mixture is warm for about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Then whip with mixer (or stand mixer works best) on medium with a whisk attachment until thrice the volume for about 5 minutes.
- While that is mixing, combine the coconut rum, vanilla, and instant coffee in a small saucepan and bring to a low boil.
- Decrease the speed of the mixer and gradually pour the rum/coffee mixture
- Then add the chocolate until combined for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the butter until all is incorporated.
- Scoop batter into the cupcake papers.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes (for the mini cupcakes) and 15 minutes (for regular cupcakes).
- Let cool completely.
- Melt chocolate and butter in 30-second intervals using a microwave-safe bowl until all melted.
- Whisk the egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, salt and 1/3 cup of water in a heatproof bowl.
- Place bowl over a double broiler beat with a hand mixer on low, then gradually increase speed to form soft peaks. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the pan and continue beating until the mixture becomes cool and fluffy.
- Fold in vanilla, then the chocolate.
- Transfer to a piping bag ( or Ziploc baggy) with the end snipped.
- Pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Top with shaved chocolate.