I am not a fan of the biscuit-version shortcakes and enjoy using angel food cake or pound cake instead. This strawberry shortcake is pretty simple and doesn’t involve too many ingredients or steps. I happened to have everything I needed on hand already.
This is perfect when you are looking for something enjoyable to make at home! So without further adieu, let’s get to baking!
Simple Strawberry Shortcake
This strawberry shortcake is pretty simple and doesn't involve too many ingredients or steps. Check out the very easy and yummy recipe here.
- 2 pounds strawberries sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup flour all-purpose
- ½ cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cream whipped
Strawberry Topping Instructions
- Add strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in a medium bowl and mix. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use
Pound Cake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 9×5 baking dish.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Set to the side.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk, cream the butter. Add 1 cup of sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Continue to whisk a few more seconds until incorporated.
- Adding one egg at a time, on medium speed, beat until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl again.
- Add yogurt and vanilla to bowl and mix until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl before finishing.
- Add flour mixture and continue to mix, scraping the sides down to ensure it is well combined and smooth.
- Pour to a baking dish and smooth out with a spatula. Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour until the toothpick comes out clean. Be careful not to overcook. It is okay if the crumbs on the toothpick are moist, the cake will continue to cook in the dish after removing from the oven.
- Cool the shortcake for 10 minutes before removing and transferring to the cooling rack.
- Once ready to serve, slice into 12 servings. Put a spoonful of whipped cream on top of pound cake slice and top with strawberries.
Calories: 265kcalCarbohydrates: 39gProtein: 6gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.01gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 263mgPotassium: 214mgFiber: 2gSugar: 25gVitamin A: 413IUVitamin C: 45mgCalcium: 78mgIron: 1mg
We’d love to know if you enjoyed this recipefeel free to let us know in the comments!