Delicious Chicken Sausage Veggie Skillet. Cooking dinner is probably one of my favorite things to do, but sometimes after a long day of work, I’m just tired….or lazy….or BOTH…..and all I want to do is curl up with my dogs under my snuggle blanket on the couch.
It’s nights like those that I like to have this quick, one-pot wonder in my back pocket–it’s proof that you REALLY have no excuse for not eating a healthy, home-cooked meal.
My preference is penne for this Chicken Sausage Veggie Skillet, but you really could use any pasta your little heart desires. Same with the veggies and protein; You can use baby zucchini, peppers, and onions with some jalapeno chicken sausage. Use whatever veggies you have on hand, fresh OR frozen. You could also skip the meat or just use regular chicken, pork, or even beef.
See? I told you….you can’t use the “we don’t have anything to cook” excuse for ordering pizza for the 3rd time this week. Without further ado, here’s my Chicken Sausage Veggie Skillet.
Delicious Chicken Sausage Veggie Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces jalapeno chicken sausage
- 3 cups veggies of choice I used fresh mini zucchini, orange bell pepper, and chopped onion
- 2½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 ounces dry penne or pasta of choice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 handful parmesan freshly grated
- ¼ cup chopped parsley optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and onion and season with salt and pepper; cook until the sausage has a bit of caramelization and the onion is softened for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and penne; stir to combine. If using FROZEN vegetables, add them now as well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes
- If using FRESH veggies, add vegetables, cover again and cook for about 10 minutes, until pasta is al dente.
- Give it a quick stir, add salt and pepper if needed, and top with some grated parmesan.