Heartwarming Italian Sausage and Potato Soup. I have always loved a certain chain Italian soup and salad!!! I know that eating a lot of that salad can be fattening due to the dressing, but I would eat until I was content! I fell in love with their Italian Sausage and Potato Soup and set out on a mission to find a version that I could use as a great base for my own version.
I have found so many recipes that I have used and love. I always change them to make them my own if I feel like there is something missing or an easier way to do something.
I have started coming up with easy dinner recipes! These are recipes that really require very little effort but turn out great! I love easy cleanup. So, I have decided that during the winter months, I would cook soup early in the week that could last for a couple of days. I work or have limited time to spend in the kitchen every evening. So, I want to cook wholesome meals that do not require a lot of time standing over the stove. I will put some of my favorite recipes out here for you and hope that they turn out to be family favorites for you and yours!
Here is my version of Italian Sausage and Potato Soup!
Heartwarming Italian Sausage and Potato Soup
- 1 pound Italian sausage ground, mild
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 slice bacon , diced, I used pancetta bacon
- 1¼ teaspoons garlic minced (I use the kind you find in the jar, so much more easier than peeling and chopping the cloves)
- 48 ounces chicken broth (6 cups)
- 3 medium russet potatoes washed and cubed (leave skins on)
- 3 cups kale rinsed pulled from stem and chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning , I used Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning or Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon herb seasoning , I used Big Daddy’s Superb Herb Seasoning
- In a large pot, add chicken broth and cubed potatoes. Let simmer on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes until fork tender.
- While potatoes are cooking in broth, brown Italian sausage in a medium frying pan.
- Once sausage is brown, remove from pan and place aside for later.
- Add diced pancetta and onion to the pan and sauté for 10 minutes, until the onions are almost clear.
- Add garlic to the pan with pancetta and onion and cook for an additional minute.
- Add sausage, kale, pancetta, onion, garlic, and heavy cream to broth and potatoes.
- Allow simmering for 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded for topping