I love being creative in the kitchen, using varying combinations of ingredients to make different plates. I always have certain staples at my fingertips, and if I did not try new ways of preparing these items, they would get dull and boring rather quickly. Broccoli and potatoes are two such ingredients that are not terribly interesting on their own. On the other hand, soup is a simple way to combine two mainstream ingredients into a meal that will warm the belly and satisfy the taste buds, so I made this broccoli, potato and Gruyere soup
I love soup, and its beauty is that almost anything goes with it. It is like being an artist with a blank canvas, building flavours and textures until it is just right. Give this creamy broccoli, potato and Gruyere soup a try and see why I love it.
Creamy Broccoli, Potato and Gruyere Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 ½ cups beef stock
- 2 cups Russet potatoes cubed
- 2 cups broccoli lightly chopped
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup Gruyere shredded
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan, and saute celery, onion and garlic until tender. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the cut potatoes and cook for 1 minute; pour the stock into the pan. Bring to a bowl and add the broccoli. Bring the potato soup to a simmer and cook until the potatoes and broccoli are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup to preferred consistency. Add the milk and cheese. When the cheese is melted, add the seasoning to taste. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes allowing the flavours to come together. Serve with shredded Gruyere.