Delicious, ridiculously quick and very easy to make, this Chocolate Protein Mug Souffle will become your saviour for when those chocolate cravings hit! You can even use the same mixture to make a souffle, or a self-saucing pudding or a moist cake! But wait, not only does this taste amazing, it is rich in polyphenols or antioxidants from the cacao, high in protein, has no added sugar and supplies you with good quality fats. It’s a chocolate-lovers dream come true! Just don’t eat ten of them.
Chocolate Protein Mug SoufflePrint Recipe
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar-free chocolate drinking powder
- 2 teaspoons of Van Houten cacao
- A pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1 egg
- 2-3 tablespoons of almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of almond butter
- Combine all dry ingredients (protein powder, baking powder, choc drinking powder, cacao, salt) in a mug so that there are no lumps.
- Add the egg and almond milk. Stir very well.
- Dollop the almond butter into the centre and push down to not sit on the top.
- This is the most significant step; I cannot emphasise being careful enough. This will taste like a flavourless hard sponge (the type you use to clean dishes) if you microwave it too long, so beware. It’s much better (and tastier) to undercook it than overcook it! Depending on your microwave, experiment on the time needed for different results. In my microwave, I microwave the mixture for 30 seconds for a souffle, 35 seconds for a self-saucing pudding and 38 seconds for a moist chocolate cake.
- Don’t forget the mixture will continue to cook once it’s out of the microwave, so undercook it a little (mainly if you keep it in the mug). If I can be stuffed or if I know I’ve overcooked the mixture a touch too much; I take mine out of the mug ASAP. If you find the top part is cooking too fast and your bottom part isn’t cooking inside the mug, take the top cooked part out and return the rest to the microwave for no longer than five seconds. Keep a hawk-eye on it!
- Serve with a few activated almonds and freshly dusted cacao if you have the patience to take it out of the mug!